European Master Scholarship in Software Engineering
at Free University of Bozen-Bolzano in Europe
Today, software engineers face new challenges as today software permeates any aspect of our life reaching the mass with sophisticated systems like Global Positioning System (GPS), life-critical like Nuclear Reactor Control systems (NRC), or business-essential like Enterprise Resource systems (ERP). For this reason, today the quality of software and software services, in terms of reliability, safety, and security is of paramount importance.
The European Master in Software Engineering (EMSE) is an 2-year international master program, completely taught in English, in cooperation with the departments of computer science of
- Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH), in Karlskrona, Sweden
- University of Kaiserslautern (UIKL), in Kaiserslautern, Germany
- Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (FUB), in Bolzano, Italy
EMSE aims at being the most knowledgeable 2-year 120 ECTS MSc program in Europe that awards a degree in Software Engineering and preparing world-class students for both a research and a professional career in SE.
The objective is to promote the creation of software engineers who meet the requirements of international software practice today, offering them an inter-European study programme based on the coordination of the strengths of each of the partner institutions, which, also, have a sound reputation in the field.
Students will prepared to cope with professional practice that will encompass a wide range of activities, including technical, problem solving, management, ethical and legal issues, written and oral communication abilities.Program
The program foresees a mobility period: students choose 2 out of the 3 universities and spend one year of their master study in each university (50% of ECTS in each institution).
The program is built on six learning paths on annual exchange and is based on core areas, specificities, and elective courses. All partners offer a research methods course to prepare students to the elective activities:a project (3,5-4 ECTS), an internship (4 ECTS), and a master thesis of 30 ECTS. Master thesis is co-supervised by two teachers of the partners universities the students have visited.
Students that successfully complete the program get a double degree from the two universities that have visited.
To improve trading-off theory and practice, to enforce a seamless synergy between the industrial and academic stakeholder and to help students’ employability, the EMSE curriculum includes a compulsory Internship Program.
Eligibility & selection criteria
Applicants should have awarded a Bachelor degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or Computer Engineering and provide proof of proficiency in English language
Students will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Language skills
- Type of entrance qualification
- Academic records
- Work experience and professional qualifications
- Motivation and willingness
The tuition fees for attending the Master are:
- NON-EU students => 3,800 Euro per year, amounting 7.600 EUR for the 2-year
- EU students => 2,250 Euro per year , amounting 4.500 EUR for the 2-year
For the course 2012-2014 up to 6 scholarships will be offered to EU and NON-EU students:
- up to 2 (24,000 € per two year) are reserved to NON-EU students visiting FUB and UNIKL
- up to 2 (20.000 € per two year) are reserved to EU students visiting FUB and UNIKL
- up to 1 (12.000 € per two year) is reserved to EU students visiting BTH and then FUB
- up to 1 (8.000 € per two year) is reserved to EU students visiting BTH and then UNIKL
- March 19, 2012, submission for NON-EU applicants
- June 18, 2012, submission for EU applicants
Grants cover tuition fees and social taxes (if any, about 130 Euro per year). Grant rates may be taxed depending on each University regulation.
More details on:
EMSE Consortium Coordinator
Faculty of Computer Science
Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
Dominikanerplatz 3 piazza Domenicani
I-39100 Bozen-Bolzano (BZ), Italy
Tel: +39 0471 016 000 Fax: +39 0471 016 009
Application Deadline : 18 June 2012
Contact Adress: Ing. Marco Passerini, Bolzano, Italy + 39 0471 01 60 22